Funnies

Monday, February 16, 2015

SNL Celebrates 40 years of Comedy



Last night, SNL celebrated 40 years. As one of the longest running shows it proved that it still brings the laughs. And while watching the flashbacks, it became apparent to me that while it is no longer the trailblazer it once was. I’m a millennial. Sorry. I didn’t realize that it was the forebearer to Comedy Central and The Daily Show. I didn’t even realize that Dave Chapelle’s white face was basically Eddie Murphy's, White Like Me skit. As soon as they showed a clip, I thought, "I've been lied to!" I thought that was just a Dave Chappelle thing. I've been living a lie all this time. Tsk. Tsk.  


Like the live shows, there were some sketches that fell flat. I was not a fan of The Californians. It's like the writers thought, "We already have Kanye doing the music, but Taylor Swift is here. Where could we put her that it won't be a disaster?" And they thought that a small part in the midst of skit that Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, Fred Armison, and Betty White would carry would be fine. But it wasn't, friends. Swift had an odd accent that made it almost impossible to distinguish any intelligible words. And the awkward silences where laughs were supposed to be were painful. This would be my worst nightmare. To do a live show, make a joke, and have the audience just stare at you. No need to feel too bad for Swift, she does have a couple other talents to fall back on.


SNL 40: The Californians clip
I couldn't help but feel disappointed after Chris Rock's long introduction, Eddie Murphy appeared and did not tell one joke. Not. one. joke. What the what? Eddie Murphy's SNL career was before my time. I was looking forward to hearing Murphy. And then that!? The man who saved SNL? At least Chris Rock recounted a yo' momma joke from Murphy. 


SNL 40: Eddie Murphy Tribute clip

While SNL may no longer be the rowdy, envelope pusher that it once was, it has created a pop culture legacy. Throughout the years it's created a host of lovable characters. We have invited the casts into our home. We've followed the comedians as SNL freshman and throughout their tv and movie careers. As I watched, last night, I noticed myself saying, "YASS! I love that skit! Ooops I crapped my pants is the best!" or "Schweddy balls is the best," "Stefon is the best," etc., you get the point. I was jazzed! 

I also remembered some of my favorite childhood memories involved Saturday sleepovers with my girlfriends piled around a t.v. watching Molly Shannon as Mary Katherine Gallagher or the time Amy Poehler was "rocking one leg, bro" in a parody of The Swan. As a young girl, I dreamt of being on SNL. Just hanging out with funny people, being creative, writing sketches, owning the world. Lol. I remembered thinking that this was a legitimate possibility for the trajectory of my life. Last night, SNL gave me all the feels.


Best moments of SNL 40

6. Audition Tapes
SNL Auditions clip
Leslie Jones and Pete Davidson introduced a montage of SNL auditions, many of which I had no clue even existed. Jim Carey really didn't make the cut!? Let's take a moment to reflect on how different SNL and In Living Color would've been. Mmmm. Yes. I enjoyed seeing that many of the cast members brought rough versions of characters that they would craft and evolve on the show. My guess is, (cough, cough, Keenan Thompson)  that if you only do a few impressions (of Bill Cosby and Al Sharpton) that those will be the only skits they put you in. And F.Y.I. Jones was correct, she was hil-ar-i-ous! 

5. Martin Short and Maya Rudolph as Beyonce

Martin and Maya clip
Here are 2 cast members who still have it. While Short brings energy and physical comedy, I had forgotten just how funny Maya Rudolph's impressions are. And can I say bravo, Ms. Rudolph for rocking a Beyonce inspired body suit? Even though this skit was a little long, it did offer returns from Garth and Kat, Marty and Bobbi Culp, Joe Piscopo as Frank Sinatra (even though, Beyonce is better), Dana Carvey, Opera Man, King Tut, Nick Ocean, AND The Blues Brothers. I mean they packed a lot of punch into that 15 minute skit.  

4. Wayne's World
SNL 40 Wayne's World clip
It just wouldn't have been a SNL reunion show without Wayne and Garth. The most hilarious aspect of this skit was that they managed to get Kanye in on the joke. All I could think of was how Mike Meyers must've felt when they said, "Mike we would really like Kanye to be in on the joke." Do you think he made the face he made when they were doing their 9/11 special and Kanye blurted out that George Bush hates black people? I'd like to think Meyers did a double take, and in his very nice, Canadian way, was like, "Oh, ok, yeah. That'll be great." Aaaand scene.

  

2. Jeopardy
SNL 40: Weekend Update clip
 During original airing, Jeopardy was a guaranteed laugh, thanks to Darrell Hammond's version of Sean Connery. Darrell Hammond was such a dynamic cast member. One of my all time favorite skits was during the 2000 Presidential Debate when he was Al Gore and Will Ferrell was George W. Bush. After that skit, we all knew that no matter who won the presidency, we were in for a wonderful 4 years of laughter. 2 words: Lock Box. 

I digress. This skit was a wonderful mingling of SNL past and present with Ferrell, Hammond, Norm McDonald as Burt Reynolds, and Kristen McKinnon as Justin Beiber. Jim Carey came back with his impression of Matthew McConaughey from the Lincoln commercials. This skit was a true gem.  

2. Weekend Update with Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Jane 
SNL 40: Weekend Update clip
Weekend update was always one of my favorite parts of the show. Maybe it's partly due to my love for Tina Fey and Amy Poehler? Maybe it's because as a kid, this was my primary source of news and I had to pay close attention so I could bring up little factoids at family dinner the following day? Who can say? 

The Weekend Update was sprinkled with homages to Matt Foley and Roseanne Roseannadanna. And what's better than one Stefon? TWO! Thanks to Edward Norton, fans were treated to a twofer. However, my favorite joke came from Jane Curtin when she stated she used to be the only pretty, blonde, lady doing the fake news, now there's a whole channel dedicated to that. Hey-oh! Zinger alert.

1. Monologue
SNL 40: Monologue clip
Now this is how you open a show. You give the people the impeccable Steve Martin, America's Tom Hanks, Billy Crystal, Chris Rock, Paul Simon, Paul McCartney, and Alec Baldwin. It got me jazzed. You know what? They showed pre-recorded clips after that and I ain't even mad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment